Skip to main content

LA FONT DEL LLEÓ

Carrer Lleó. Pollença

The first public fountain in Pollença

This fountain from 1813 is an example of the modernisation process that Pollença experienced in the nineteenth century in order to improve the quality of life of its inhabitants.

La Font del Lleò (Lion Fountain) was the first public fountain in Pollença. Until its construction in 1813, the locals collected water from wells and cisterns. However, this system was clearly insufficient to meet the needs of Pollença, which suffered from severe droughts every summer and was experiencing significant population growth.

Although it was initially called Fuente de los Ángeles (Fountain of Angels), in honour of Pollença's patron saint the Virgen de los Ángeles, the fact that the water flowed out of the mouth of a stone lion made it become popularly known as the Font del Lleò, a name it retains to this day even though the lion is now bronze, as the original was destroyed in repair works performed over the years.